Saturday, August 1, 2015

Textured Journal Covers with Gabrielle {Video Tutorial}


Hello friends! It's Gabrielle here with you today to share an art journal cover I recently made using beautiful Shimmerz Paints, Dusty Attic chipboard and a variety of new stencils I designed for The Crafter's Workshop.  The Stencils I used were 'Tuscan Wall', 'Moving Vines' and 'Organic Matter'.  Because I was going for the warm colors of Tuscany, I went with yellows, blues and greens with a hint of sepia.   Here are the Shimmerz Paints colors/products I used for this project...


Shimmerz Products Used:
~ Heidi Ho Blue Coloringz
~ Glorious Day Vibez
~ Chocolate Brownie Coloringz
~ Taupe of the World Vibez
~ Bamboo Leaf Spritz
~ Olive Branch Spritz
~ Emerald City Inklingz
~ Artichoked Texturez
~ Pumpkin Shimmerz

I did a video recording, a sort of step by step of the making of this journal cover (front and back) if anyone wants to recreate the look.   So take a break from the hassles of your day and let creativity flow your way! Enjoy! 


This was so much fun to make, I hope you enjoyed watching my video tutorial as much as I enjoyed creating this project!  Here are a few close-ups, that you can check out at your leisure....


Here's a view of the back and front cover.  I was going for a kind of aged, sun-warmed Tuscan doorway look.  I began by adding lots of textures using my stencils, and then just started layering on the paint colors starting with the lightest (Glorious Day Vibez) to the darkest.(Taupe of the World Vibez).


For the door, I brushed the Heidi Ho Blue on with a paint brush rather than spritzing it on, so that I would get streaks in the chipboard resembling woodgrain.  Then I lightly dry brushed some of my white Gesso over it to give the blue a more sun-bleached look. I finished the aged look by using a stamp I designed for The Scrapbook Diaries called Crackle Textures....I used the crackle paint stamp on the door and the peeled paint design on the walls.


For my vine corner, first I used my TCW 'Moving Vines' stencil with some texture paste, the  began to layer on my greens (Bamboo Leaf and Olive Branch Vibez).  For the chipboard I used the Chocolate Brownie Coloringz for the 'wood frame' and Emerald City Inklingz for the leaves.  


For the Ivy vine, I used my all-time favorite color of Texturez called Artichoked on the Ivy cut out on my Tuscan Walls stencil.  And finally I used a very light brushing of Pumpkin Shimmerz for my cracked brick design.

NOTE:  Don't forget to get your FREE/BONUS Shimmerz product in the color of your choice with your next Shimmerz Paints order....Just mention my name 'Gabrielle' in the 'Instructions to Merchant/Seller' part of your order, and presto! Stacey will bestow an extra Shimmerz product upon you!  Perfect if you're like me and have a hard time narrowing down the colors you NEED! :P

....AND....If you haven't heard the exciting news yet, Shimmerz has brought out a whole bunch of gorgeous new colors for their summer release!  I'm super excited to give these lovely colors a go!  I recently have been playing a little more with the Creameez paints and I just love the matte watercolor look they can give to a project!...I sat here trying to pick some favorite colors, but it's so hard to do, they are all so yummy! (Firm Foundation, Sage It Isn't So, Good Ol' Summer Time...seriously, how cute are those names too!). What's your favorite?



No comments: